An international driver’s license is a document that enables a person to drive cars for leisure purposes in several foreign countries. In Canada, only the CAA is authorized to issue this kind of driver’s license under a UN-approved mandate, and this is the only document that will be accepted in a foreign country. 

You will need a driver’s license to apply for an international driving permit, and if you are approved, you will be able to drive in another country without having to take tests or submit other applications. You must fill out and submit the appropriate form based on your location to obtain an international driver’s license and will have to confirm whether or not you are part of the Department of National Defence/Canadian Armed Forces. 

Your international driver’s license will be valid for only one year from the date of issue, and some foreign car rental agencies may require you to have this kind of license to rent a car. Your international driver’s license will only allow you to rent a car that is in the same class as your Canadian driver’s license, which means you cannot rent a motorcycle if you are only licensed to drive cars, for example. 

International travelers coming to Canada

Customers travelling to Canada from another country must present the following if they want to rent a car:

  1. Their home country’s driver’s license. This must be valid unexpired, and it must include a photograph. Digital licenses will not be accepted. 
  2. If the home country’s driver’s license is in a language other than English and the letters are not English, the traveller will need to have an international driver’s license. 
  3. If the home country’s driver’s license is in a language other than English, but the letters are English (like German or Spanish, for example), an international driver’s permit is recommended but is not required. 
  4. Travellers may need to provide additional valid government-issued documentation, and it is highly recommended that the person contacts the rental car company in the province they will be travelling to because this is the best way to learn more about the rules and regulations and whether or not you can rent a car with an international driver license. 

Important Information

  • Learner’s permits are not accepted. 
  • Photocopies of driver’s licenses will not be accepted. 
  • If the license restricts the licensee to the use and operation of a vehicle equipped with a form of a breathalyzer apparatus, the traveller cannot rent a car. 
  • Temporary driver’s licenses may be refused if the rental location cannot otherwise verify the customer’s identity or verify the authenticity of the temporary license. In addition, government-issued identification may be required in these situations. 

Choose Expo Rent-A-Car for All Your Car Rental Needs

Do you need to rent a car? Expo Rent-A-Car offers cheap car rental deals, and you can visit us in downtown Vancouver to look at our selection of rental vehicles. We will provide you with all of the information you need regarding car rental rules and the type of license and documentation you need. 

Contact us today for all of your car rental needs!